logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ray22901031  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2024 9:56:38 AM(UTC)
ray22901031

Groups: Authorized User, Developers

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Minimum Advertised Pricing (MAP) is a touchy situation. Many attorneys have different views on this subject. Motorola now requires us to password-protect any product that falls under MAP pricing (click to view price).

Does AbleCommerce have any intention in a future release, when an item is marked as click-to-view pricing to also offer password protection? So, for a user who logs in, the pricing is shown to the customer.

Thanks

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Katie S  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2024 8:22:38 PM(UTC)
Katie S

Groups: System, Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Hi Ray,

This hasn't come up in a while...so I'll move it to the feature forum, if that's OK with you.

Just to clarify, the request is to require a user to first login (create an account) before they can view the MAP?

Thanks for your support!

Katie
Secure eCommerce Software and Hosting
ray22901031  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2024 8:50:42 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

In a nutshell, YES!

We will do some limited custom work to give Motorola what they want. There are enough options within AbleCommerce that I can play with alternatives.

#1. Restricting the site to log-in users only does not work for us because it prevents guests from looking around.

#2. One option is to limit the checkout process to log-in users only - This could work, but for the limited guests that only want to buy certain non-MAP accessories, it would be a pain in the butt.

#3. So, for now, we will create two fields in the store settings, cf_DisableGuestMapPurchase and cf_DisableGuestMapMessage - Right now, this is the better option.

If a guest were to look around and purchase a non-Map item, all would be fine. Still, if that guest were to stumble upon a MAP (Click-to-view-price) item, the Add to Cart button would be disabled so they couldn't add it to the cart and view the price, and the click-to-view price would not show, instead displaying the cf_DisableGuestMapMessage value. Something like "If you wish to purchase this item and view the discount pricing, you must log in to your account.

For now, this is the most minor programming we can do to keep Motorola happy, but we're thinking about this, and I want to share some ideas with you.

We're thinking of adding a login price for items. In other words, a guest user would see one price, and a login user would see another. For items that are not MAP, both the login price and the regular price would be the same. This way, I can display MAP pricing for guests, but people who are logged in will get their discount price instead of the MAP item price without the Click-to-view-price option. That should still be included in the cart.

Since we're talking about ideas, you can create a third price and assign it to a user group. It will only display for people who are logged in and are part of that group.

So for an item, you would have three pricing:
#1. Regular pricing that all can see, guest and login
#2. MAP Discount Price for login users
#3. Special group price- For people who are part of a specific group

Just ideas at this point, but I believe option three is the way to go for us at the moment, and I hope I've thrown some ideas at you that you can use later on.

-Ray
ray22901031  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2024 5:54:06 AM(UTC)
ray22901031

Hi Katie,

After much tossing and turning, we decided to implement this at the product level, not the system level. In other words, each product will now have a custom field called something like "cf_LoginToPurchase." This actually creates more benefits for us. Items that have this field checked will have the add-to-cart button disabled and will not display any price, but a text message to log in. When a registered user logs in, I no longer have to hide the price on a click to view the price setting; I can display the actual selling price.

I believe this is a better solution.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

-Ray