logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
judy at Web2Market  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2019 10:56:22 AM(UTC)
judy at Web2Market

Groups: Developers

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Your new scheme for creating friendly urls for categories and products is good in some ways, but not in others. Creating a category in the admin saves a friendly url in the ac_CatalogUrls table based on the name of the category. Then creating a subcategory under that one gives the subcategory a url which includes the parent category, like New-Category/New-Subcategory. But changing the name of the parent category doesn't change the url for it and for the subcategories, which wipes out the good SEO urls you have implemented because now the url for a subcategory isn't based on the changed name of the parent category. It seems like this should be automatic. Isn't this what MVC routing is supposed to be good at?
Friendly product urls are created when a new product is added and they include the breadcrumb down to the final level category it is in, which is good. I can't find where those are stored, though, so maybe they are dynamic? I added a new product to the New Category Edited/New Subcategory and the url of the product contained New Category Edited in the url-New-Category-Edited/New-Subcategory/New-Product. But if I click up to New Subcategory, the url is still New-Category/New-Subcategory instead of New-Category-Edited/New-Subcategory.
It seems like all of this should be dynamic so it wouldn't cause the merchant a lot of extra work.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

MikeR  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 11, 2019 1:23:31 PM(UTC)
MikeR

Groups: Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk, System, Admin

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi Judy,

According to MOZ URLs have little effect on SEO, but we certainly don't want to orphan content by changing URLs without setting up 301's. Maybe it's going to require a pop up on category/sub-category name change.

Category/subcategory change:

Change the URL for all Sub-Categories and Products (Unpublished websites)
Change the URL for all Sub-Categories and Products and create 301 redirects.
Leave URLs as is and just change the category title

Thank you for your support!
Mike Randolph
AbleCommerce.com
judy at Web2Market  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2019 5:59:18 AM(UTC)
judy at Web2Market

Groups: Developers

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
It sounds like that would work. Could I get some input from your developers about friendly urls for products? It seems like they are only created if you add a new product from the admin. I imported a test product using your data import and it didn't create a friendly url. So merchants who want to add new products that way or move from another platform are going to have to create friendly urls themselves for new products. I very strongly think this is a bad idea.
MikeR  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2019 8:45:41 AM(UTC)
MikeR

Groups: Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk, System, Admin

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: judy13846 Go to Quoted Post
So merchants who want to add new products that way or move from another platform are going to have to create friendly urls themselves for new products. I very strongly think this is a bad idea.

It's pretty easy to generate the URLs in excel, but I'll put in a feature request for this as I agree it would be better.

Thank you for your support!
Mike Randolph
AbleCommerce.com