logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
speedythinker1832579  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:06:46 AM(UTC)
speedythinker1832579

Groups: Authorized User, Developers

I have setup both USPS and Fedex accounts but only USPS is working (sort off). The problem is that it won't show any method from the FedEx but USPS rate only when using postage calculator. Also, it shows both USPS Priority(domestic rate) and USPS International rate even though the shipping address is set for USA

Marco

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

judy at Web2Market  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 6:41:10 AM(UTC)
judy at Web2Market

Groups: Developers

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Do you have debug turned on? Did you check the logs? I tried both and got some rates logged for USPS, and one rate shows on screen. I used Fedex credentials from a live site and got back the error that the Meter Number was missing or invalid, even though it was there and was the same as was on the live site. I couldn't set up a new account because they wanted a credit card number and I wasn't about to give one.
speedythinker1832579  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 12:58:36 PM(UTC)
speedythinker1832579

No, I didn't have debug turned on.
I found that there is more issue on the shipping. It seems not allowing two different items with different Ship Group existed in the same order.
Here is how my setup on shipping system:
1)Warehouse: LightObject
2)Ship Group: Standard (by USPS), FedEx, Group1, Groupd2, .... linked to different products that need handled with methods

Here is the problem:

If I have ProductA (linked to the Group1) in the basket with no other products in the basket it worked. But, if I added another item ProductB that was linked to Standard, then there was no shipping rate showing up when clicked the 'Calculate' button. If I removed ProductA from the basket, then I can get rate for the ProductB..

Marco
MikeR  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2019 2:20:11 PM(UTC)
MikeR

Groups: Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk, System, Admin

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hello Marco,

When you are using Ship Groups you need to have overlapping shipping methods between the ShipGroups.

ShipGroup A
Methods A, B and C

Ship Group B
Methods B and C.

If products from both ship groups are in the basket, it would only show the methods B and C as they are the common methods from Ship Group A and B.

If there are no overlapping methods none will return.
Thank you for your support!
Mike Randolph
AbleCommerce.com
MikeR  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2019 2:35:31 PM(UTC)
MikeR

Hi Marco,

We're looking at your ship groups and we don't really understand your goals with creating all of the ship groups? Maybe it's better to mark these products as ships separately, so they are put into their own shipment with their own shipping methods.

Mike Randolph
AbleCommerce.com
speedythinker1832579  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2019 2:44:01 PM(UTC)
speedythinker1832579

Hi Mike:

Thank you for your reply. I tried it but it only show one rate instead of blank. However, it will create another issue. Since ShipGroupA with A,B,C methods assigned. If I placed an item in the basket from ShipGroupA, it will show methods of B & C and that is not we wanted. I think there is 'logic' issue here.

Here is our setup (partial):
Standard - assigned to USPS First Class, Priority 1day, Priority 2 Day, .... (small items)

Over size item (not ship-able by USPS)
Laser 80W with method Laser tube 80W
Laser 130W with method Laser tube 130W

Water Chiller 800W with method Chiller 800W
Water Chiller 1600W with method Chiller 1600W

Now if I added a pack of screws wight a few oz only and we ship it by USPS. It showed the USPS rate properly.
Then, after I added a 80W laser tube, it shows blank.

After overlapping the methods per your suggestion, it will show rate for the 80W laser tube when two items were added to the basket. No USPS rate showed up.
Before we upgraded it to v9 from V7(gold), it works flawless with different warehouse instead of ShipGroup. In fact, I don't see the difference by using 'Shipgroup' over 'Warehouse'.

Now, we are getting a lot of complains from customers claiming that they couldn't get proper shipping rate during check out. The issue is really affecting our operation. Please come up a better solution to solve the combine Shipgroup issue

Thanks
Marco

speedythinker1832579  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2019 2:54:04 PM(UTC)
speedythinker1832579

FYI: our temporary solution is to ask our customer to break down their order into two: one for over size item like the laser tube and a separated order for small parts that ship by USPS or Fedex (note: we can't get FedEx to work).

Marco
MikeR  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2019 3:10:56 PM(UTC)
MikeR

Hello Marco,

You still can do what gold did in regards to Warehouses.

Create a heavy (non-usps) warehouse and a heavy (non-usps) Ship Group. Assign all of the products requiring this to both the heavy warehouse and the heavy ship group.

This way all of the heavy products will still be in a single shipment (grouped by warehouse) and it will pull the methods from the heavy Ship Group.

Edited by user Monday, August 19, 2019 3:15:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mike Randolph
AbleCommerce.com
speedythinker1832579  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2019 4:07:25 PM(UTC)
speedythinker1832579

I think I get it work now. I have to check "Item ship separately" on all heavy item.
That should take care it. Thanks!

There is one more issue: the shipment on USPS can't distinguish domestic or international. So it will show both. Is it something I can do to fix it

Thanks
Marco
speedythinker1832579  
#10 Posted : Monday, August 19, 2019 4:15:23 PM(UTC)
speedythinker1832579

Strange enough that it worked for a moment then stop working again...
I was getting happy too earlier :(

Marco

Edited by user Monday, August 19, 2019 5:20:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Naveed Ashraf  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 7:51:23 AM(UTC)
Naveed Ashraf

Groups: Admin, Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk, Authorized User

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Quote:
I think I get it work now. I have to check "Item ship separately" on all heavy item.
That should take care it. Thanks!

Quote:
Strange enough that it worked for a moment then stop working again...

As the products are setup to not ship separately , and the shipping methods "Pickup" and "I (Buyer) provide shipper info" are setup to be applied to all products (all shipping groups). So, those are being combined into single shipment.

Now as there is no common shipping group for products in single shipment, rates are not calculated. You need to setup such products to ship separately. It should work, but to test it properly you need to revisit the basket page at store side and continue checkout , this will trigger rates being recalculated, otherwise it will keep serving the cached rates.

Thanks for your support!
Naveed Ashraf
Ablecommerce.com
Developer Assistance Available
thanks 1 user thanked Naveed Ashraf for this useful post.
speedythinker1832579 on 8/20/2019(UTC)
MikeR  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 9:11:56 AM(UTC)
MikeR

Hi Marco,

I think we are going about this all wrong, please tell us how you need your shipping to work?

You currently have 20 ship groups or more and FedEx attached to its own ship group. I cannot think of a reason why to do this.

Standard products: What Shipping Methods?
Unstandard Products (Group 1): What Shipping Methods?
Unstandard Products (Group 2): What Shipping Methods?
Unstandard Products (Group 3): What Shipping Methods? etc.
Mike Randolph
AbleCommerce.com
speedythinker1832579  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 5:27:32 PM(UTC)
speedythinker1832579

Hi Mike:

May be my logic toward to Shipping Group is wrong. Here let me explained how we do handle our shipment below

Standard products: What Shipping Methods? “Ships Standard” by USPS or FedEx (customer pick preferred method because different rate available between those two)
Unstandard Products (Group 1): What Shipping Methods? FedEx (we manually setup the flat rate for different size/weight item)
Unstandard Products (Group 2): What Shipping Methods? FedEx (we manually setup the flat rate for different size/weight item)
Unstandard Products (Group 3): What Shipping Methods? FedEx (we manually setup the flat rate for different size/weight item)
Unstandard Products (Group x): What Shipping Methods? Others, through freight (we manually setup the flat rate for different size/weight item)

Products we carry weight from 1oz to 200#'s
Small item such as light bulb, cutter, ac adapter... etc weight from 1oz to 40# and overall within the limit when combined, are handled by USPS or Fedex and we need to get rate before checked out.

Oversize item such as long glass tube (6ft) or XY gantry (150lbs). It needs to ship in separated packing and rates are setup by us manually. And in majority of these items are handled by FedEx

Case I: When a customer place a light bulb in the shopping cart, it shows USPS rate properly: First Class and Priority Mail. (Still have trouble with FedEx).

Case II: If a customer place a glass tube “GlassA” in the shopping cart, it shows flat rate that we defined which is good
Note, the reason that I need to create so many groups and have a dedicated method attached to it because there are many different type of glass tube and other oversize products that need to have different shipping rate. If I don't make up this way, the system will show a bunch of shipping rate the system will show up a bunch methods. So, if a customer put GlassC in the basket, only method of GlassRateC rate will show up but no GlassRateA, GlassRateB rate will show up. Otherwise, the customer will get confused and usually they will pick up the lowest rate LoL!

Case III: If a customer place a light bulb and a glass tube in the basket, it shows no rate at all. But if I changed that glass tube to "Item ships separately", then it seems to work. Still doing test on it.

Hope you can understand my setup (it could be stupid). If there is a better way to handle it, please give me some hint. I couldn't think of other way to accomplish this task. I have been using similar way on V7 (gold) and it took care most shipping task we need.

Thanks
Marco

speedythinker1832579  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 5:46:25 PM(UTC)
speedythinker1832579

One more case:
Case IV: If a customer place GlassA and GlassB in the same order, no rate will show

Thx
Marco
MikeR  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 6:48:48 PM(UTC)
MikeR

Hello Marco,

Please explain this part a bit more.

(we manually setup the flat rate for different size/weight item)

You can set up this just like gold based on our testing.

Standard products & Standard Products Warehouse (default) with UPS and Fedex as shipping methods.
Unstandard Products (Group 1): & Group 1 Warehouse
Unstandard Products (Group 2): & Group 2 Warehouse
Unstandard Products (Group 3): & Group 3 Warehouse
Unstandard Products (Group x): & Group X Warehouse

The goal is of course to have a minimum of warehouses and Ship Groups just for ease of maintenance.

Mike Randolph
AbleCommerce.com
speedythinker1832579  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 6:58:09 PM(UTC)
speedythinker1832579

For those "Unstandard" items we defined the shipping rated ourself. It is not the "actual" or "real time" shipping rate getting from USPS or FedEx web service through API.
I hope that I was 'over engineering' the ShipGroup and/or warehouse LoL! :()

After setting "Item ships separately", it seems working. Except that it shows both domestic and International rate. I will look into it see if I can come up a solution. Or , if you have a better solution, it will be even better!

Marco

Edited by user Tuesday, August 20, 2019 6:59:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MikeR  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 7:09:31 PM(UTC)
MikeR

Hi Marco,

You may not want to utilize ships separately as that forces a single item into its own shipment, would that be the norm for these oversized goods? That could trim down the warehouses and groups.

So you (will) have 4 custom groups 1,2,3 and X. How are the rates different? Are you not able to charge by the pound for these objects?

You could setup Matrix by weight. But just use weight as a trigger for a fixed price.

1-2 lbs $35.00
2-3 lbs $50.00
3-4 lbs $70.00
4-5 lbs $120.00

Create all of the possible dollar values you needed. Then just use weight to assign the shipping price.

This would work well if the items are in separate shipments, however, if they are not separate then it would add the weights together 2 + 3 would get us a $120 rate. But 2 and 3 separately would be $85.00
Mike Randolph
AbleCommerce.com
speedythinker1832579  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 9:11:11 PM(UTC)
speedythinker1832579

Hi Mike:

We need over-sized item to be shipped with its own packing, means ship separated is necessary. In general, we can't combine shipment either there not enough room for other items or the glass tube is too fragile to ship alone with other items. Vibration may crack the glass tube. Therefore, a separated box must be used. If a customer buy 4 or of those oversize item, then we will make a crate to ship them.

Not all items counted by weight but volume. For example, the actual weight of a glass tube is merely 20lbs but volume equivalence is somewhere closed to 80lbs or so. For 20lbs item, the shipping cost may run at $12~15. But for 80lbs item, the shipping cost could run as high as $150~$200 depends on location. The main issue is that V7 (gold) is not able to get rate by providing the size of the packing through web service. I don't know if v9 is capable to do so or not. So, we will never get accurate shipping rate if we just use weight alone. Because of that, I have to created so many Ship Group to handle so many 'ship separated items.

Not sure if you catch my idea.

Thanks for your great effort of trying to help on this issue. Very appreciated!

Regards,
Marco