logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ray22901031  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 8:43:01 AM(UTC)
ray22901031

Groups: Authorized User, Developers

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Using the latest release, we are finding that the tab under a product view "Also in Category" works intermittently. We are trying to pinpoint what would cause this to populate. There are times when you first open the site and nothing is populated, and a few minutes later after clicking around, then it populates. Wish I can offer more information at this point, but were not able to pinpoint what's going on.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

shari  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 30, 2019 4:54:10 AM(UTC)
shaharyar

Groups: Admin, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk, Authorized User

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 112 post(s)
Hi,

Were you able to reproduce the issue reliably?

I cannot see any issue with the rendering of Also in Category Tab.
This tab is not active by default. It shows the content only after clicking the tab.

If you can share some more details so that we can try to identify the issue.

Thanks.
ray22901031  
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 1, 2019 12:57:39 AM(UTC)
ray22901031

Thank you for your reply,

We can duplicate this 100% of the time on multiple products. Yes we are aware that the tab is not active by default and will only show if items are included. Again true for multiple products, after a few moments the tab gets populated.

ray22901031  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 1, 2019 12:25:10 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

Update !!!

We have determined that this is a login issue. If you first go to the website, which is running locally, and you go to a product it will display the "Also in category" tab, indicating that they are products under this category, otherwise they will not be a "Also in category" tab.

You can go to any product, and nothing will be displayed. The moment you login, in this case as an administrator, the tab will populate. We can reproduce this 100% of the time using multiple products, and 2 local websites.

We are not running custom code, and are running the latest version. This should be easily produced by others.

I am not sure how to upload pictures from a local drive onto this form otherwise I would.

I hope this helps

-Ray
shari  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 2, 2019 5:18:11 AM(UTC)
shaharyar

Groups: Admin, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk, Authorized User

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 112 post(s)
Hi,

Thanks for the details you have shared.

This seems to be because of the user groups restriction being applied to the products.
Can you please confirm if you have restricted your products to a certain group.

You can confirm by visiting the EditProduct page => Addtitional Settings => Restrict to User Group(s) option
ray22901031  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 2, 2019 7:11:37 AM(UTC)
ray22901031

Restriction to user groups are not enabled and visibility in-store is set to public, show to all users. If I'm able to reproduce this, with a fresh install, you should be able to reproduce it as well. Please check.

Thanks
judy at Web2Market  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 3, 2019 6:14:13 AM(UTC)
judy at Web2Market

Groups: Developers

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I checked my local B5588 site this morning and the more category items tab is working OK both logged in and not-logged in. I am working with AC sample products, though.
I will say that we all have had weird things happen that we wonder, did that really happen? Then it will be OK. We figured it was some kind of caching issue that we knew nothing about. We don't have a site that is live, though.
ray22901031  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 3, 2019 7:27:47 AM(UTC)
ray22901031

Not working for us on 2 websites locally, both fresh installs, however one of the first things we did was to remove all the sample products. If I have time I'll do a third install with sample products to verify. Either way, we're still in early development stage and are still evaluating the product. We will be working with Joe on this, and I can have him verify the behavior.

Many thanks

Edited by user Tuesday, September 3, 2019 7:28:52 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Joe Payne2  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 5, 2019 10:42:52 AM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

Groups: HelpDesk, Developers

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I was not able to reproduce this issue with b5588 either anonymous or authenticated. I even restarted the app pool in an attempt create some sort of application lag. Every time the Also In Category section rendered promptly and properly on various demo products.

I suspect the issue could be hosting related. I've seen a few instances where an Able ajax postback 'lags' or hesitates, usually due to a view needing compiled. It gives the impression the section isn't loading when it's really just waiting on the web server to compile and execute. Purely theory of course but that's my best guess.
ray22901031  
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 5, 2019 11:06:18 AM(UTC)
ray22901031

Joe,

Hopefully you should have access to my servers by tomorrow so you can see the behavior yourself. If it was a hesitation or a lag I would notice it especially since I'm at the server itself and there's nothing else running and I can verify resources. Either way, it will be interesting to see what is causing this.

I did install another instance of Ablecommerce, but did not delete the sample products, and it does not display the above issue. So I don't understand why just deleting the sample products would create or produce such a behavior. But we'll figure it out.

Many Thanks
-Ray
Joe Payne2  
#11 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2019 10:05:16 AM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

Groups: HelpDesk, Developers

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I reviewed this report and was able to confirm the incorrect behavior. When logged in, the Also In category tab on the product page will render other products. If you log out, the Also In Category for the same product is now blank. No user group assignments have been made to the product.

For starters, the client has deleted all Able test data. So you can't just test this using sample data.

Next, the category structure is built such as...

.Root Category
..Level 2
...Level 3

The product is located in the level 3 category.

What's interesting is when I alter the category assignments to the product. If the product is only assigned to the Level 3 category, the behavior is exactly as I stated above. And it's repeatable multiple times in a row. Logged in as admin, I see content in Also In Category. Logged out, the control renders nothing.

If I assign the product to the Root AND Level 2 category, while leaving it assigned to level 3, the behavior becomes inconsistent even if logged in as admin. Sometimes Also In Category renders other products. Other times, it is blank. At first I thought it was because the product was the only product in the level 3 category. I added a 2nd product to the level 3 category. It rendered the first time, then never showed again regardless of admin login or anonymous.

I suspect the Also In Category routine is having trouble identifying the current category.

The client has created about a dozen products and a solid 15-20 categories. No User Group Restrictions are in play.

Client is able to grant you access to their site if you can provide them your static IP. You'll need to add an entry to your local hosts file to resolve the site url properly as the site is hosted behind a NAT firewall configuration.
MikeR  
#12 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2019 10:33:19 AM(UTC)
MikeR

Groups: Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk, System, Admin

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi All,

Thank you for the additional details I've alerted development to investigate this.
Thank you for your support!
Mike Randolph
AbleCommerce.com