logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Joe Payne2  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2019 12:45:01 PM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

Groups: HelpDesk, Developers

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I will need to remove the Browse Store menu from the store header for a project that does not require it. But I can't find where it's added? I see in /Views/Shared/ there are several store header related views but I'm not finding the Browse-Store menu specifically in any of them.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

judy at Web2Market  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 2, 2019 6:14:32 AM(UTC)
judy at Web2Market

Groups: Developers

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
It is in the Views/Shared/_StoreMenuLight.cshtml
<li class="dropdown megamenu">
<a href="#" class="dropdown-toggle" data-toggle="dropdown" data-hover="dropdown" data-delay="300" data-close-others="true">@GetResourceString("retail.storemenulight.browse_store")</a>
<ul class="dropdown-menu">
@Html.Action("CategoryHeaderMenuMega", "Category", new { showMainCategories = ViewBag.ShowMainCategories, showChildCategories = Model.ShowChildCategories })
</ul>
</li>

Sometimes the only way I can find things now is to find what css class they use and search my solution for that!
Joe Payne2  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 2, 2019 8:58:54 AM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

Thanks Judy!

Yea, it takes a lot of time to track down where something on a page is coming from. Something as simple as adding a button the billing section of the admin view-order page drills me down through four different partial views until I finally get where I want to be. And then hooking it up to these huge controller files.......

I see things getting messy fast if we don't come up with a standard for placing customizations. Maybe a ~/CustomViews/ folder?? I don't even know if that would work. Doesn't help with controller files though.

Gonna go buy some stock in BeyondCompare :)
Katie S  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 2, 2019 9:52:17 AM(UTC)
Katie S

Groups: System, Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Quote:
I will need to remove the Browse Store menu from the store header for a project that does not require it.

I just went to the Widget Board for the store header and removed the widget 'Store Menu'. Save and now it's gone :)
Thanks for your support!

Katie
Secure eCommerce Software and Hosting
Joe Payne2  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 2, 2019 10:29:50 AM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

Can you be more specific?

I go into Widget Boards, I see "Store Header Menubar"

I click that, Click the Content tab, then I see the various controls.

I click Edit Content button, remove the Store Menu contol from the layout.

I click Save. Go the storefront. The header is still the same, Browse Store is still visible.

Not sure what I'm missing.

FYI the Edit Content action seems to be stuck now. If I go to store front, then return to admin and edit the same widget board, then click the Content tab, I'm now already in edit mode. The Edit Content button is not visible.
Katie S  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 2, 2019 10:52:01 AM(UTC)
Katie S

Yes, that's exactly what I did. Try viewing it in a different browser or make sure that it's not being cached.

I wanted to also share that we included some information for each widget. If you edit the widget, you'll see a section that refers to its location in the code:

e.g. Store Menu

Controller
AbleCommerce.Controllers.WebpageController

Action
StoreMenu
Thanks for your support!

Katie
Katie S  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 2, 2019 10:53:55 AM(UTC)
Katie S

Make sure you're editing the correct widget board. In a default install, we're using Store Header Compact.

I'll try testing with the other one to see if it works as well.
Thanks for your support!

Katie
Katie S  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 2, 2019 11:34:39 AM(UTC)
Katie S

The change to widget board "Store Header Menubar" worked for me, but I did take one extra step by removing the zone after removing the widget from the board.

Now, one thing that can be confusing happens when you edit a particular page from the retail side. The page will be considered 'customized' and it appears on the listings under Website > Customized Pages in the admin menu.

Once a page is 'customized' from the retail side, you must continue editing from the retail side. This would include the action of removing a widget board and replacing with another. If you are trying to do this on the admin, but the retail page is custom, just switch over to the retail side and make the change there or remove the page customizations.

There are two content features that will update site-wide when changed from any location, and that would be the "HTML Snippets" and the "Widget Boards".

In the next version, we've made it very obvious that a retail page has been customized when you open the design panel. It should help with any confusion about retail page overrides.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Katie
Thanks for your support!

Katie
Joe Payne2  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 2, 2019 1:17:29 PM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

I'm just checking the home page. According to the customized-pages list, there are no content pages customized. So should be ok there.

I only removed the control from the Contents tab. The zone/region/whatever-its-called was empty but remained.

I went back in just now and removed the region from the Layout tab. Refreshed the home page in a different tab and it's still showing.

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.
Katie S  
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 3, 2019 8:55:42 AM(UTC)
Katie S

Hi Joe,

Is this an install I can access?

Thanks
Katie
Thanks for your support!

Katie
Joe Payne2  
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 3, 2019 9:09:47 AM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

It's a local install. We can do a screenshare if you want.
Katie S  
#12 Posted : Friday, October 4, 2019 9:18:28 AM(UTC)
Katie S

Hi Joe,

Sorry for the delay. I had to work on a different project and it took me all day yesterday.

So, I think what will be most helpful is if you can send me your StoreHeaderMenubar.cshtml file from the /Website/Views/Shared/Boards folder.

Also, are you using the final build 5588 of AC9?

Thanks
Katie
Thanks for your support!

Katie
Joe Payne2  
#13 Posted : Friday, October 4, 2019 9:20:49 AM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

This was the 5707 plugins test build. Don't worry about it at this point. If we've got another build coming later this month then I'll test it with that. It's probably something I'm doing wrong anyways.
jeffr_ca  
#14 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2020 4:19:37 PM(UTC)
jeffr_ca

Groups: Authorized User, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hello,

When configuring the Browse Store Menu, we are given the option to choose from Two to Six Categories to be shown in the drop-down. The menu then displays the specified number of Categories listed in the same order that they are sorted in the Catalog.

In our migration we have many more than six Categories (20 Categories in our catalog). The problem we are seeing is that we already use the SubCategory Grid on our pages for navigation and the Browse Store drop-down is partially redundant showing the same choices. I would like to make the Browse Store menu a set of unique Categories for quick navigation by customers.

Is there a technique that we can specify which Categories of the larger list SHOULD be displayed in Browse Store Drop-down? Perhaps if we could create a top-level Category called "BrowseStore" (sorted to the bottom of the Catalog list) and place desired sub-category names inside, those could be used to populate the Browse Store list?

Or even if we could tell Browse Store to display the last "Two to Six" categories in our Catalog at least we could sort our Catalog list to have our unique items at the bottom of the list.

Thanks for suggestions.

-Jeff
ray22901031  
#15 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2020 9:24:47 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

Groups: Authorized User, Developers

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
We don't use the built-in menu system, I'm pretty sure you referring to the compact header which is governed by "_StoreMenuLight.cshtml". I do believe if you go to Website > Store Design > Widgets and look for "Store Menu Light", if of course you're using the compact header, you might be able to make some changes there.

We found the built-in menu system, extremely confusing for customers, not only for the same reasons that you are referring to, but having those drop-down menus are a thing of the past and can really spoil the look of a website and make it feel dated. We have switched over to a manual menu system by manipulating "_StoreMenuLight.cshtml", turning it into an "All in One Menu".

For more complicated menu structures, we have manipulated contact pages to act as Mega Menus, in doing so, it is easier on the eyes, it is easier to navigate, does not give that dated look to the website, and much easier to maintain, since on a contact page you have a lot more real estate to work with, especially with the introduction of buttons and pictures.

Bottom line, any product that my customer needs is no more than two clicks away.

I hope this helps you.
jeffr_ca  
#16 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2020 8:17:56 PM(UTC)
jeffr_ca

Groups: Authorized User, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Yes, that's the one I was looking at, but have switched my focus to trying out the StoreHeaderContentMenu widget instead.

It is a bit more what I'm satisfied with for now, but have discovered a couple bugs that I'll note in the Bug Reports forum.

Thanks,

-Jeff