logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mbartens21179672  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 17, 2022 10:38:19 AM(UTC)
mbartens21179672

Groups: Authorized User, Developers, Registered

Are there instructions on deploying to a production server without using the installer?
I need to know what files should or should not be moved and what the permissions should be.

Thanks!

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

shaharyar  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 17, 2022 11:44:46 AM(UTC)
shaharyar

Groups: Admin, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk, Authorized User

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 112 post(s)
Quote:
Are there instructions on deploying to a production server without using the installer?

I am assuming that you have set up the application locally and wanted to deploy it on the production server.

You can follow these steps:
1- Take a backup of your local dev install
2- Restore it on the production server
3- Copy the Website folder of the local application and move it to the production server
4- Update the connection string in App_Data/database.config (Make sure to decrypt the database connection string before moving to production server)

If you have CMS changes in your dev local application you may need to sync the dev with the live Gold database.

Following are the instructions in this case:

1- Close the store so that no new activity takes place on the live store
2- Take the backup of the LIVE database and restore it on a local development machine or dev server
3- Use the Redgate SQL Data compare tool and sync both the DEV database and the one restored in step2 (LIVE copy)
4- Since the LIVE database copy contains all the latest data (users, orders, etc.), therefore, it is best to merge the data from the DEV database to the LIVE copy. Mostly there are CMS-related updates that are required to be merged.
5- Once the databases are synced, take the final backup of the database, restore to the production server and update your database connection string to use this latest backup
mbartens21179672  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2022 2:00:55 PM(UTC)
mbartens21179672

Groups: Authorized User, Developers, Registered

Thank you. What I actually needed though was a list of files that should or should not be on the production server.
shaharyar  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2022 6:25:46 AM(UTC)
shaharyar

Groups: Admin, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk, Authorized User

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 112 post(s)
All the files under the Website folder can be deployed to the production server.

You can also use the visual studio publish project feature to deploy the required application files.
rlopez397954  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2022 4:37:14 PM(UTC)
rlopez397954

Groups: Authorized User, Registered, Developers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I understand the instructions on setting up the dev site to the production server, however my question is the Licensing.

Should I install the Live License before moving the dev site to the production server? I know how to force the license into the site, but would rather not if I don't have to.

I'm asking this as the dev site license is mapped to the dev IP and host header. Once moved I will not be able to start the site up on the production server with the current license installed.

If anyone can share their experience please post.

Katie S  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2022 5:13:13 PM(UTC)
Katie S

Groups: System, Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 33 post(s)
What we recommend is to use a Live license that includes both the production domain and the IP/dev site domain. That way the key will work in both installations.

One thing to keep in mind is that the key is bound to the physical location of the website. So, the key may need to be re-installed if you move the /app_data/Commercebuilder.lic file to the production server. But, if you get a new key with both live/dev domains, then you can install the SAME key in both locations.

Hope that makes sense.
Thanks for your support!

Katie
Secure eCommerce Software and Hosting
rlopez397954  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2022 9:56:57 PM(UTC)
rlopez397954

Groups: Authorized User, Registered, Developers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Katie,

Thank you for your response.