logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dennis3396677  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2023 2:51:12 PM(UTC)
dennis3396677

Groups: Authorized User, Developers

I am currently migrating my AbleCommerce v9 site to a new server. Are there any steps I need to take besides taking a backup of all files and the database and restoring them on the new server? Thanks!

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

ray22901031  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2023 5:21:02 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hi Dennis,

We migrated to a new server last week. As long as your rights are correct, and your database has been restored up to date, the only other thing you need to do is make sure that your DNS points to the new server.

Because we're using Cloudflare, the DNS change took less than 60 seconds. If you're not using a CDN, the DNS change can take up to 48 hours.

Remember to reinstall your key.bin if necessary for the proper encryption to work. Also, check your database configuration file to ensure it points to the appropriate database server.

Good luck with your move,
-Ray
dennis3396677  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2023 5:33:08 PM(UTC)
dennis3396677

Thanks so much for your help and input Ray! Much appreciated!
Katie S  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2023 1:31:27 PM(UTC)
Katie S

Groups: System, Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Thank you Ray for providing the information for Dennis. I would like to also add that the license key (app_data/Commercebuilder.lic) may not work after the move. It is bound to a physical path on the server, so if you have the exact same path, then it should be fine.

If you do get a license key error after the move, then all you have to do is delete the commercebuilder.lic file. Refresh any page and then re-install your original license key.

These instructions were written for the Gold version, but I believe they still apply to the AC9 version:

http://help.ablecommerce...n_for_Advanced_Users.htm

Thanks for your support!

Katie
Secure eCommerce Software and Hosting
ray22901031  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2023 1:52:44 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

Hi Katie,

I had never experienced this problem before, I guess because I kept my path the same. I have moved AbleCommerce to so many servers that I can do this with my eyes closed.

The database server was the only thing not discussed that could be a concern. If you restore the database to a new SQL box, the "shop user" must be re-established at the new server. -
This can be done manually; we use a sequel statement in our case.

To monitor what server the system is running on, we run another statement that changes a three-letter prefix at the end of the footer, which helps when troubleshooting.
Currently, after the copyright statement, our footer looks like this "Copyright © 1994-2023 MyRadioMall.com - W2M", which means it's running on the web to market platform.

I hope these tips help others.
-Ray
ray22901031  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2023 9:45:28 AM(UTC)
ray22901031

This is from the advanced user help and support currently online.

Quote:
>> Find your original license key by logging into your account. If the development domain or IP is changing, you will need to request a new key. <<

Why do you need to request a new license if the IP changes?

We've never encountered this issue before, as long as the domain name is valid, the IP is irrelevant. You are not asking for IP's when a license is being issued, So what is the purpose of the statement above when you reference IP's?

Needless to say, the chaos that would ensue if the license was attached to an IP, and not a valid domain.

Thanks,
-Ray
Katie S  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2023 12:54:14 PM(UTC)
Katie S

Hi Ray,

The license keys are bound to the website name, and sometimes clients request that the license be keyed to a development domain or IP address.

The quote should read "If the licensed domain is changing, you will need to request a new key."

It's not all that common for an IP to be used for the key.

Hope this makes sense.
Thanks for your support!

Katie
ray22901031  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2023 4:06:14 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

Hi Katie,

Thank you so much for your clarification. I'm not sure why anyone would want the IP stuck to their license, but I guess specific needs do arise. Moving to the new server was effortless because we had to park the working site somewhere else for a few hours before moving it to its new server.

AbleCommerce is by far the best decision we have ever made,

Thanks,
-Ray

Katie S  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2023 7:45:56 PM(UTC)
Katie S

Thank you so much Ray. I really appreciate the kind words.
Thanks for your support!

Katie