logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Joe Payne @ Solunar  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 16, 2022 3:09:31 PM(UTC)
Joe Payne @ Solunar

Groups: Developers, Registered, HelpDesk

It's been a loooong time since any meaningful changes were made to the overall email template system. And we have a whole lot more email templates than the 7.x days.

It's important to have a consistent look-and-feel to all store communications. In it's present state, the Able email template feature makes it very cumbersome to keep all store emails consistent in their appearance.

First, we should have a place where we can define separate email template headers and footers. Just like how HTML snippets work for web pages.

Next, the specific email templates become just the body. When editing an email template, the user can assign which email header and email footer to include when that specific email is rendered by nVelocity. Email template headers and footers always include support for nVelocity references to useful global vars like $store.

Finally, The template rendering routine is then modified to render the assigned email template header, then the body, and then the assigned footer into a single html email.

Now if we need to change a phone number, logo or hyperlink in the store emails, we change it in 1 place instead of 40. And the overall consistency of all store emails is vastly easier to maintain going forward.
Joe Payne, AbleMods Hosting LLC
https://www.ablemodshosting.com

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

SteveFeher  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 21, 2022 11:37:11 AM(UTC)
SteveFeher

Groups: Developers, HelpDesk, Registered

Absolutely agree!
RickBorage  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2023 4:32:43 PM(UTC)
RickBorage

Groups: HelpDesk, Developers

Joe,

just wondering if you were ever able to use nVelocity to pull in the Store Logo? I can't seem to find a store property that points directly to it (still looking).

Best I can see is doing something like this:

${store.StoreUrl}Themes\${store.Settings.StoreTheme}\Content\images\logo.png

which still requires you to make an assumption on png, gif or jpg.
Joe Payne2  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 18, 2023 6:16:29 PM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Unfortunately your method is the only method. There is no store setting specific to the path and file name of the store logo. The system is hard-coded to presume the logo is in a specific folder, with a specific file name.

This scenario is one of a number of reasons I built an 'email theme' feature. It allows me to define themes that specify common email header and footer content. Each email template can be assigned a specific theme, use the default theme or have no theme at all. Just like page templates and store themes. We have dozens of active email templates in our system.

When I need to change the footer in my email templates, I do it all in one place. One time. And *poof* all of them are now done. It is glorious :)
Katie S  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 19, 2023 1:02:16 PM(UTC)
Katie S

Groups: System, Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 33 post(s)
I added this as a feature request for a future version. It's a great idea Joe. We should have done this a long time ago.
Thanks for your support!

Katie
Secure eCommerce Software and Hosting
RickBorage  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 26, 2023 1:27:52 PM(UTC)
RickBorage

Thanks for confirming that Joe. I have to admit that I have my slashes wrong in my example but it works with the correct slashes. The only bad thing is that you have to assume/hardcode the file extension.

Something else I came across, my client has asked to include the vendor name in the vendor notification email template subject line. I think that is an out of the box template.

It doesn't look like the vendor object is exposed through nVelocity, it can only be used for the recipient email from what I can tell. So something like $vendor.Name does not work.

How hard would that be to implement? Would it benefit others?

The reason for the request is that my client has that vendor notification CC'd to himself and them it gets moved to another folder in his inbox by a rule. He'd like to be able to browse that and see the vendor name in the subject line.