logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
boyd3155174  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 1, 2022 5:55:32 PM(UTC)
boyd3155174

Groups: Authorized User

Hello, we have this problem in AC gold. We're working on upgrading to AC9, so I thought I'd test the functionality there (9.0.5.6938 is build we are using), and the result is the same.

I turned on the 'debug' option for USPS international shipping so that I can see what AC is sending to USPS, and how USPS responds.

For international shipping calculations:

- if I have one item in my cart, the message to USPS has the dimensions of the item in it. USPS responds with valid results.
- if I have more than one item in my cart that are different items (not qty > 1 of the same item), the message to USPS has dimensions of 0 for all values in it. USPS responds with valid results, as a 0 dimensional item fits in all boxes!
- if I have more than one quantity of one item in my cart, the message to USPS is the same as #1, and does not account for the dimension change because of multiple items.

The overall problem, as I see it, as AC wants to know what shipping methods are available for items, but doesn't know how to put those items in the boxes (do you stack by height, by width, by depth, or mix and match?), so it sends dimensions of 0. Whereas USPS wants to know what size BOX you intend to use, and doesn't care about the items in it.

How can this be addressed? We have problems with international customers picking the cheapest option available (as would I!) when the order contents won't fit in said option, causing us to pay more for shipping, or have to adjust the order for the customer which is awkward at best.

Thanks.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Katie S  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 5, 2022 12:15:28 PM(UTC)
Katie S

Groups: System, Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Hi,

It is not possible to calculate the dimensions of a box when there are multiple items being shipped together. There are a couple options -

- use the billable weight which is calculated by using the product's dimensions.
- use the setting to "Calculate Costs Separately"

These features are documented, so it might be helpful to do a quick read on this here:

http://help.ablecommerce...oducts%2FAdd_Product.htm

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for your support!

Katie
Secure eCommerce Software and Hosting