logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ray22901031  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2022 1:31:48 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

Groups: Authorized User, Developers

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I've been trying to get a handle on this for some time, and I finally figured out what's going on.

Using version 9.0.7, when I'm editing a contact page, and I step away, let's say for 25 minutes, while I'm still logged on, I will automatically get logged out in the background. That's OK. However, I may not be aware of this, when I come back to the computer, I will try to save sometime and of course the system just times out.

But in doing so, it messes up the web site app pool, and the website refuses to load until I recycle. I can duplicate this 100% of the time.

Any suggestions besides logging out when I walk away from the computer?

Thanks
-Ray

Edited by user Wednesday, December 21, 2022 1:32:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

rlopez397954  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2022 4:29:52 PM(UTC)
rlopez397954

Groups: Authorized User, Registered, Developers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Ray,

I would check your App Pool and make sure your time out settings are set to something like 1740 regular recycle and 20-min's for time out. Our set-up is on premises with multiple websites and each one runs in it's own App Pool. Also note, all secondary applications db's i.e. are also on site and folder permissions set to ablecommerce spec's per their instructions.

I do get the time out after walking away when logged into admin as well, but not experiencing a manual re-set having to be done on the App Pool to get the site back up after the time out.

Hope this helps.

ray22901031  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2022 5:54:57 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

There are many recommended settings from Microsoft themselves, which are all over the place.

The main problem here is that I have the timeout timer set to 90 minutes, and for my regular employees who are processing orders, this works perfectly.

The issue is as a full-blown admin, not limited admin when I am manipulating contents live, which by the way I should not be doing in the first place, if I am completely idle for even 25 minutes, the system has an issue reconnecting to update the new contents.

And yes, I'm aware that this setting needs to be altered in two different places.

I technically should be timing out at 90 minutes, not 25, so that's the first issue. I think the concern here is that it's trying to write to specific areas in the database and when the system barks the app pool goes bonkers.

That being said, obviously, this could be a problem that might be difficult for AbleCommerce to constantly reproduce, so I will do my editing on my development server and do a quick copy and paste to my production server.

But I would love to hear from support, and better yet if support wants to make recommendations on the app pool that would be wonderful.

Many Thanks,
-Ray
nadeem  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2023 6:06:29 AM(UTC)
nadeem

Groups: Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk, Authorized User, Admin, System

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Hi Ray,

A few things to check here:

- Are you using Zapier plugin? If yes, confirm you aren't using your admin account for Zapier. If the account is shared, it can result in timeout based on the time set for the Zapier notifications.
- Confirm you are using the separate App Pool for the website in question

Quote:
But in doing so, it messes up the web site app pool, and the website refuses to load until I recycle. I can duplicate this 100% of the time.

Do you mean the styling of the website is messed up or the site completely not loading?

Quote:

The main problem here is that I have the timeout timer set to 90 minutes, and for my regular employees who are processing orders, this works perfectly.

You said, this is working fine for other employees, that means the timeout setting is working fine. However, you can try changing the Idle Time-out for the app pool in IIS from 20 minutes to the 90 minutes.
ray22901031  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2023 7:04:04 AM(UTC)
ray22901031

Hi nadeem,

The answer to your first question is no, we are not using Zapier.

Addressing your second question, I have developed a bad habit of trying to edit on-the-fly content pages on the production server. Many of these edits involved constant changes, one right after the other, and others while I step away from the computer and come back 20 minutes later.

I have 3 development servers just for this purpose and I need to start using them, and once I get the contact page done, I should just copy and paste once to the production server.

That definitely solves my problem.

Thanks,
-Ray

nadeem  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 4, 2023 8:52:50 AM(UTC)
nadeem

Groups: Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk, Authorized User, Admin, System

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
That's strange!

Well, you can try increasing the Idle Time-out (in minutes) under app pool advanced settings if you want.