logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
david9688526  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2023 10:42:12 AM(UTC)
david9688526

Groups: Developers

We are currently running 9.0.5 (we plan to upgrade soon). In the last month, we have received 12 fake orders that all originated from the same IP address. I have now blocked that IP address. The orders were submitted using 5 different, already existing accounts. We found out about the issue because the real users got email notifications of orders they did not place and contacted us about them.

So, it seems someone has figured out how to place fake orders using other people's accounts. Is this a known issue with 9.0.5? I browsed all the release notes for the later releases and didn't see anything that appeared to address it. Anyone else seen this? Has it been fixed in the later releases?

Thanks,
David

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Katie S  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2023 11:55:54 AM(UTC)
Katie S

Groups: System, Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Hi David,

This is not a known issue, and I'm quite surprised to hear this has happened. So, you are saying that a person has hijacked 5 different accounts? Is the originating IP from a location here in the US?

Do you know if they used any stored payment profiles?

If you check the "Page Views" tab for each of the accounts, can you see anything unusual?

I'm sorry, but I might be inclined to believe that there was a breach at the admin level. Do you think that's possible?

I'd like to have you open a support ticket so you can share your store's login credentials and we can help figure this out.

Also, I just want to make sure you have reset the passwords on each of the accounts involved.

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to find the cause and make sure it can't happen again.
Thanks for your support!

Katie
Secure eCommerce Software and Hosting
ray22901031  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2023 12:10:46 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

Groups: Authorized User, Developers

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
We block our admin login using Cloudflare, only specific IP's can access the back-end.

This might be a good feature to implement in a future update, where you can specify specific IP's to restrict users to the back-end.

I hope this helps,
-Ray

PS: also another idea in addition to blocking the IP would be to have the ability to modify the URL of the back end; in other words, change the default from "https://www.yoursite.com/Login" to a user specific URL that's harder to guess like "https://www.yoursite.com/xx-234568/Login" Magento uses this approach.

Edited by user Tuesday, May 9, 2023 12:14:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Katie S  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2023 12:32:26 PM(UTC)
Katie S

Quote:
This might be a good feature to implement in a future update, where you can specify specific IP's to restrict users to the back-end.

Yes, I agree this would be a good feature to have. Unfortunately, I can't get a dedicated IP from my internet service provider, but I often use a VPN for other apps that require it. I'll open a feature request.
Thanks for your support!

Katie
ray22901031  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2023 1:08:35 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

You could also implement 2-step verification on the back-end, this could also benefit users.
Katie S  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2023 1:18:42 PM(UTC)
Katie S

Hi Ray,

Good idea. This a feature we added to meet the requirements of PA-DSS 3.2. It uses the Google Authenticator app. To turn it on, check the box for "Enable multi-factor authentication service" from the Configure > Security > Passwords page.
Thanks for your support!

Katie
ray22901031  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2023 1:22:30 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

Can this be done today on a per-user level?
david9688526  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2023 6:33:35 PM(UTC)
david9688526

I've been able to piece together what happened through the Audit log. It appears someone in Finland managed to login to my server and from there was able to login to my Admin account on our AbleCommerce site (guessing I was signed into LastPass on the server) and create themselves an Admin account. Luckily, some of the security protocols we had in place prevented them from seeing too much sensitive info but I've been taking a variety of steps today to tighten security and I blocked them out of my server shortly after they gained access.
Katie S  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2023 7:24:30 PM(UTC)
Katie S

Hi David,

I'm relieved that you were able to find the breach and take care of it before anything else was compromised on the server. I'm also relieved that there isn't a security issue in the AbleCommerce code.

Thank you for giving us an update.

Thanks for your support!

Katie
Katie S  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2023 7:26:27 PM(UTC)
Katie S

Originally Posted by: ray22901031 Go to Quoted Post
Can this be done today on a per-user level?

If the setting is turned on, then it will apply to all admin users. It would be nice if it could be enabled as an individual setting.

Thanks for your support!

Katie
ray22901031  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 9, 2023 7:59:30 PM(UTC)
ray22901031

Quote:
I've been able to piece together what happened through the Audit log. It appears someone in Finland managed to login to my server and from there was able to login to my Admin account on our AbleCommerce site (guessing I was signed into LastPass on the server) and create themselves an Admin account. Luckily, some of the security protocols we had in place prevented them from seeing too much sensitive info but I've been taking a variety of steps today to tighten security and I blocked them out of my server shortly after they gained access.

Is your database and website located on the same server?
david9688526  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2023 11:33:22 AM(UTC)
david9688526

No, separate servers. I've changed a whole lot of passwords in the last 2 days.
ray22901031  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2023 11:55:12 AM(UTC)
ray22901031

If your database connection string is encrypted, I don't see how they could have gotten your password to log in to your system.

I never run any type of password manager on the server, and, in fact, you shouldn't be running any desktop applications on the server at all. Since we have a static IP at the office, we also limit remote login to specific IP's. I know this is a little more difficult if you have a dynamic IP.

Either way, I'm glad you got your problem fixed, and hopefully, it will never happen again, I strongly suggest that you turn on two-step verification for all your admin users. I'm uncertain if this feature is included in version 9.0.5.

Hope some of this helps, and best of luck.

-Ray
Katie S  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2023 2:16:31 PM(UTC)
Katie S

Hi,

Quote:
I'm uncertain if this feature is included in version 9.0.5.

We added Multi-factor authentication in the first (beta) versions of AC9. The Google Authenticator was upgraded in 9.0.6.

To turn it on, check the box for "Enable multi-factor authentication service" from the Configure > Security > Passwords page.

The email template is called "Google Multi factor Authentication" in case you want to customize it.

Thanks for your support!

Katie
david9688526  
#15 Posted : Monday, May 15, 2023 11:17:41 AM(UTC)
david9688526

It seems this hacker was specifically targeting AbleCommerce and they are trying to capture credit card information. Something is intercepting or blocking requests to \Validation\ValidateCreditCardNumber but we haven't found it yet. We upgraded from 9.0.5 to 9.0.6 and went through the code very carefully but the problem is still there. So, it isn't in the AbleCommerce code directly. We searched for service workers, iis modules, handlers, iis redirects, url rewrites. No luck. Windows Defender found Meterpreter.8 Malware today. Likely related so we are running more extensive Anti-virus tests.

We've turned off orders on the live site until we track this down.
Katie S  
#16 Posted : Monday, May 15, 2023 11:43:56 AM(UTC)
Katie S

Hi David,

I'm so sorry that you're having to deal with a hacker, because I know how frustrating it can be.

Thank you for keeping us updated on this issue.
Thanks for your support!

Katie
david9688526  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2023 2:53:46 PM(UTC)
david9688526

I'm hopeful we have now removed the root source of this hack. Today, we found an IIS Module, HTTPCacheLog, that was causing our problems. The DLL for that module had a very recent Timestamp and the path didn't match any of the other IIS Modules. Once we removed that DLL, the problems below went away.

The ongoing issues we noticed were:

1.) Any URL that contained the words "Credit" and "Card" in the path wasn't reaching the intended end-point.
This included: https://[ourAbleCommerceSite]/Checkout/_CreditCardPaymentForm and
https://[ourAbleCommerceSite]/Validation/ValidateCreditCardNumber

2.) The was another Category page on the site that was displaying a blank page.

3.) Malware was popping up on the server on a nightly basis in odd places. The malware was being caught by anti-virus software on the server but it was clear we hadn't found the root source of the malware as it kept appearing and we had URLs that were being intercepted.