logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
charles25686713  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2023 12:02:32 PM(UTC)
charles25686713

Groups: Authorized User, Developers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi, we just realized that non product pages are not appearing in categories on the public facing side.

Things like links, folders, and pages that aren't product pages.

Only "true product pages" are appearing.

I've poked around in the different config pages on the admin side, and I haven't found anything that would cause this.

While we have some customization to the public UI, I'm not sure what could cause this, and I'm looking for help on narrowing it down.

Thanks.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

charles25686713  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2023 12:43:02 PM(UTC)
charles25686713

To update my original post:

I keep a local/dev copy of "AC out of the box with our data", without any of our customization, for comparison.

The "non product" pages don't appear in there either, so I'm reasonably certain this isn't a result of our customization.

Thanks.
charles25686713  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 10, 2023 1:10:31 PM(UTC)
charles25686713

Another additional piece of info:

We have a category that ONLY has links to external sites on it.

That category now shows: No products match your search criteria.
Katie S  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2023 2:00:22 PM(UTC)
Katie S

Groups: System, Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Hi,

Unfortunately, we don't have a single widget that will display all catalog object types. You can build a custom page using different widgets though.

There is a LINKS widget which displays links in a category. (under GENERAL)

The WEBPAGE THUMBNAIL widget displays links to content pages that have a category assignment (also under GENERAL)

And SUBCATEGORY GRID displays the sub-categories of the current category being viewed. (under CATEGORY section)

Each of these widgets have additional display parameters that are specific to how they display on the page.
Thanks for your support!

Katie
Secure eCommerce Software and Hosting
charles25686713  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2023 2:11:55 PM(UTC)
charles25686713

Hi, thanks for the response.

Please clarify.

These pages worked fine in AC gold.

In AC9, now they don't. Is this an oversight on AC's part? Something I didn't see in the upgrade notes?

More importantly, what precisely do I do to get it back to AC gold functionality?
Katie S  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2023 2:58:47 PM(UTC)
Katie S

These are not the same pages as Gold. The CMS system in version 9 is an entirely new feature.

It's not an oversight. It was something that we decided to remove. If you would like, I can open a feature request and we can look into it.
Thanks for your support!

Katie
charles25686713  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2023 3:19:24 PM(UTC)
charles25686713

So, categories that before showed every "product type", links and all, no longer work. Was this listed somewhere in upgrade notes that I missed?

More importantly, how can I get these to re-appear?

I'm puzzled, and don't understand, how are you supposed to show links and pages associated with categories, that aren't "true products"?
Katie S  
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 13, 2023 11:32:07 AM(UTC)
Katie S

The upgrade from Gold to AC9 can only bring over the data. The storefront pages are all new and work differently than in Gold.

I can request that we include a new widget that can display all catalog object types, but currently there is none.

There is a LINKS widget which displays links in a category. You can add this widget to the same page that displays products and it should work fine. The only difference is that they won't be mingled in with the products.

Thanks for your support!

Katie
judy at Web2Market  
#9 Posted : Monday, May 15, 2023 5:50:30 AM(UTC)
judy at Web2Market

Groups: Developers

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
We have had to build a new category page for this because most of our clients who upgraded from Gold wanted it.
charles25686713  
#10 Posted : Monday, May 15, 2023 11:57:32 AM(UTC)
charles25686713

Originally Posted by: Katie S Go to Quoted Post
The upgrade from Gold to AC9 can only bring over the data. The storefront pages are all new and work differently than in Gold.

I can request that we include a new widget that can display all catalog object types, but currently there is none.

There is a LINKS widget which displays links in a category. You can add this widget to the same page that displays products and it should work fine. The only difference is that they won't be mingled in with the products.

Hi, which page/template displays the products? I tried changing the "category product grid" to include the "links" widget, but our category with just links on it still shows "No products match your search criteria".

Some specific instructions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Charles
Katie S  
#11 Posted : Monday, May 15, 2023 12:01:33 PM(UTC)
Katie S

Quote:
We have had to build a new category page for this because most of our clients who upgraded from Gold wanted it.

I didn't realize this. We are discussing this issue now, so I'll keep you all posted.

Quote:
I tried changing the "category product grid" to include the "links" widget, but our category with just links on it still shows "No products match your search criteria".

If you can give me a day, I'll get back to you with some specific instructions.
Thanks for your support!

Katie
thanks 1 user thanked Katie S for this useful post.
charles25686713 on 5/15/2023(UTC)
judy at Web2Market  
#12 Posted : Monday, May 15, 2023 1:22:11 PM(UTC)
judy at Web2Market

Groups: Developers

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Thanks, Katie. The site you are going to be launching soon that we did the development for is one of the sites that wanted the CatalogNode page (similar to what was CategoryGrid4 in Gold). It is their default display page for categories.
Katie S  
#13 Posted : Monday, May 15, 2023 9:23:54 PM(UTC)
Katie S

Hi Charles,

This should be working. I inserted the LINKS widget on the Category Product Grid inner template, above and below other widgets on the page. I tested from both the admin Edit Inner Template page and also from the retail side. The links display for me.

Can you confirm that the Links have a visibility display of Public?

Also, can you confirm that the Links are assigned to the category using this inner template?

It might be helpful if you can attach a screenshot showing the widget configurations on the template. I can try to duplicate it and try to reproduce the issue.

Thank you
Thanks for your support!

Katie
charles25686713  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2023 11:38:19 AM(UTC)
charles25686713

Hi Katie, it's real hassle putting screenshots here. I have to host them somewhere for them to display?

I changed the "Category Product Grid" inner template Content tab to include Links at the bottom, under Subcategory Menu and Category Product Grid Multilevel.

Curiously in the Inner Templates listing, it shows 0 assignments to the Category Product Grid. Most of the other Inner Templates have 1. I do not see any other Inner Template that looks like it would pertain to Category Product listings.

Here's one category example.

The category is "Recommended Books @ Amazon".
It is public (eyeball).
The inner template is set to "Use store default". I tried setting it to Category Product Grid as well, to no avail.
The category has mostly links, close to 50, plus some folders and Content Pages, all of which are visible (eyeball).
The actual store front side of the page shows nothing except "No products match your search criteria".

Where are the "store defaults" configured? I could not find a page that shows that.

BTW, and I indicated this elsewhere shortly after we upgraded, having a default of 20 on every single page is rather annoying, especially when the listing isn't sorted (?!?!). Very frustrating trying to find what you are looking for. Every single time I change it to Show All. This default limit of makes sense when there could be thousands of items. But inner templates? Categories? If nothing else, make the default larger than 20 please? I modified the code on many of these already to default to all, but I continue to find more pages I have to change. Which of course is one more thing I have to integrate into the next upgrade!

EDIT: I looked in the tables and found the default CategoryInnerTemplateId is the ID of Category Product Grid (14), so having the category set to "Store Default" should work. I'm still curious if there's a place this is visible without looking the db?

Edited by user Friday, May 26, 2023 6:34:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Katie S  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2023 12:34:57 PM(UTC)
Katie S

There is a paperclip icon that lets you insert an attachment or upload a file. You can use that to upload your screenshots.

Thanks for your support!

Katie
charles25686713  
#16 Posted : Friday, May 26, 2023 6:39:50 PM(UTC)
charles25686713

Here's showing the links in the category product grid inner template.
category-template.jpg (89kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

Here's showing zero assignments to the Category Product Grid inner template. Note the other two have an assignment of 1.
zero-assignments.jpg (100kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

Here's showing four of the 50+ link items in the category 'Recommended Books @ Amazon'.
category-links.jpg (58kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

Here's the public facing category.
recomendded.jpg (37kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

Please tell me where I went wrong and how to get these to display.

Thanks.
Katie S  
#17 Posted : Sunday, May 28, 2023 1:18:32 PM(UTC)
Katie S

Quote:
Here's showing zero assignments to the Category Product Grid inner template.

Keep in mind that the store will have defaults set for each of the Page Templates and Inner Templates. If you are seeing 0 assignments, then that is because it could be set as the default. From the upper-right corner of the Store Design > Page Templates and Inner Templates pages, there is a button named "Set Defaults".

To make sure this category "Recommended Books @ Amazon" is using the Category Product Grid inner template, go to the retail side while logged in as the admin.

On the right side of the page, there is the On/Off toggle along with the Show/Hide slide control. Slid this open. Do you see "Store Default" for the outer template and Inner template configuration?

Another thing to check from the retail side. Turn the CMS editing to ON. Do you see the Links widget on the page?

See my example below:
2023-05-28_11-16-37.png (126kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

Edited by user Sunday, May 28, 2023 1:23:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Thanks for your support!

Katie
charles25686713  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, May 30, 2023 12:56:00 PM(UTC)
charles25686713

Thanks. I was able to get links working with your info.

The underlying issue was the "links" widget was set to show 4 items, and only 4 items. Ergo the product page was showing "No products match your search criteria", and then 4 items below it. Because it was only 4 of about 50, I didn't think it was "links" and was coming in from somewhere else, like "related items".

I found the links widget and change it to show 0, and now we still get "No products match your search criteria", but all the links below it. Not ideal, but better than nothing at all!
Katie S  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, May 30, 2023 1:22:50 PM(UTC)
Katie S

Quote:
I found the links widget and change it to show 0, and now we still get "No products match your search criteria", but all the links below it. Not ideal, but better than nothing at all!

I believe you are seeing this because you have the "Category Product Grid Multilevel" widget appearing just above the "Links" widget.
You might want to create a special category page just for displaying the links only and remove the widget this is supposed to output products. That should fix the problem.

Thanks for the update and please let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks for your support!

Katie
charles25686713  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, May 30, 2023 2:12:06 PM(UTC)
charles25686713

Originally Posted by: Katie S Go to Quoted Post
Quote:

I believe you are seeing this because you have the "Category Product Grid Multilevel" widget appearing just above the "Links" widget.
You might want to create a special category page just for displaying the links only and remove the widget this is supposed to output products. That should fix the problem.

Thanks for the update and please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, I took your suggestion and it looks better.

Charles