logo
Welcome to our new AbleCommerce forums. As a guest, you may view the information here. To post to this forum, you must have a registered account with us, either as a new user evaluating AbleCommerce or an existing user of the application. For all questions related to the older version of Gold and earlier, please go to AbleCommerce Gold forum. Please use your AbleCommerce username and password to Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Joe Payne2  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2020 1:22:44 PM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

Groups: HelpDesk, Developers

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
When configuring email settings that do not work (I haven't started troubleshooting yet), the send-test-email feature does not respond with anything visual to the user that an error occurred. The spinner displays for a time, and then simply disappears. No display message that there was an error, not connection-timeout error and nothing in console.

Whereas the error log has recorded an error:
Quote:

Error sending email with subject 'King Nut Fundraisers: SMTP Settings Updated'. View less
Exception: Failure sending mail.Stack Trace: at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message) at CommerceBuilder.Messaging.EmailClient.Send(MailMessage mailMessage, SmtpSettings smtpSettings, Boolean throwOnError) Inner Exception: Unable to read data from the transport connection: net_io_connectionclosed.Inner Exception Stack Trace: at System.Net.Mail.SmtpReplyReaderFactory.ProcessRead(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 read, Boolean readLine) at System.Net.Mail.SmtpReplyReaderFactory.ReadLines(SmtpReplyReader caller, Boolean oneLine) at System.Net.Mail.SmtpReplyReaderFactory.ReadLine(SmtpReplyReader caller) at System.Net.Mail.SmtpConnection.GetConnection(ServicePoint servicePoint) at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.GetConnection() at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)

Specifically the settings I'm using are:
Enable Secure SMTP: Checked
Enable Email Authentication: Checked

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your AbleCommerce Forums forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Naveed Ashraf  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2020 5:42:59 AM(UTC)
Naveed Ashraf

Groups: Admin, Administrators, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk, Authorized User

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I have tried to reproduce the issue but for me it is showing an error message in case we have an invalid SMTP configuration.

It takes a while to display a RED message popup, when AJAX spinner hides, but it eventually shows up. Probably the duration of the Ajax error message popup is not long enough and can be easily missed.
Thanks for your support!
Naveed Ashraf
Ablecommerce.com
Developer Assistance Available
Joe Payne2  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2020 6:38:57 AM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

Try with email settings that have Secure SMTP enabled, but the account doesn't support it. That was the problem in this case. I had to disable secure SMTP to make the test email work. Let me know if you want me to PM you some creds that will create this exact scenario.

If the error response is being rendered in a popup that disappears, that's a bigger problem. Error messages should always render in the page and stay.
Joe Payne2  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2020 8:06:08 AM(UTC)
Joe Payne2

In a different install I was able to see the error message when certain SMTP settings do not work.

That error popup has got to be changed to a text response on the page. The popup lasts less than 2 seconds. There's not even enough time to read the actual error message.
shari  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2020 5:44:40 AM(UTC)
shaharyar

Groups: Admin, Developers, Registered, HelpDesk, Authorized User

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 112 post(s)
Your suggestion has been noticed and registered as a bug.

Thanks for your support!
thanks 1 user thanked shaharyar for this useful post.
Joe Payne2 on 10/23/2020(UTC)